Sunday, April 25, 2010

More American Expatriates Give Up Citizenship

I spent over 30 years in the service of my country and love it dearly.  I lived outside of the United States, mostly in Southeast Asia, for about 20 of those years and the result was not a desire to become a citizen of another country but a reenforcement of my love for America.  I can look at my country and see all her flaws, yet having seen much of the world and having lived abroad for so great a time, I've seen no other nation that measures up to her greatness.

There are certainly improvements that can be made.  Our tax system has become onerous and unwieldy.  Our government has become overlarge and has forgotten its proper role under the Constitution.  We seem unable to break the hold of the pernicious political correctness that eats away at our culture weakening it at a time when we need it to be strengthened.  Despite these and other failings, it is still the shining light of freedom in this world and if you doubt me, just look at the lines of people at embassies and consulates around the world who are trying to get a visa just to come here.

I'm certain that the people in the linked story are at their wits end to consider such an act and for that they have my pity.  But while I may understand their consternation borne of the very expansion of government that I and other Conservatives oppose, I cannot support or look favorably upon their decision.

Follow the link for the story.

No comments: