Wednesday, December 29, 2010

David Limbaugh: Too many coincidences for the Bible to be mere fable

He died for our original sin that we may have everlasting life.  
The title of the story, in this case, is an understatement.

I recently had several long conversations with my son about Christianity and I must admit that I am not a Biblical scholar for much of the Bible I accept on faith and faith alone.  My son, who believes in God, has a hard time wrapping his arms around Jesus and asked me questions not to challenge me but to find out what I believed.  Unfortunately my lack of Biblical knowledge made it very difficult for me to articulate my beliefs for I am becoming a Christian at a rather late stage in my life.  I did start studying the catechism of the Catholic Church about 50 years ago but didn't complete it because I didn't want to upset my devout Nazarene grandparents.  And before that I attended Sunday school at the local Nazarene church but could not see following that faith after being told at a very young age by my Sunday school teacher that going to see "The Ten Commandments" was a sin.  After I quit going to catechism I began a long journey trying to find the water for which my soul thirsted.

In the interim 50 years I was nominally Christian without a baptism and then began following the Buddhist faith after spending 6 years in Thailand.  Still, I never stopped believing in Jesus as the Son of God and the Savior and there was an itch in my intellect that just would not stop.   In 2002 I married a cradle Catholic who didn't mind my professed Buddhism and loved me greatly. It wasn't until the birth of my youngest daughter in 2006--a blessing from Heaven and my cradle Catholic wife--and a fight with cancer that I realized that what I had perceived as an intellectual itch in my psyche was actually a void in my own soul.  It came as I carried out my promise to my wife that our daughter would be raised Catholic and I began attending Mass regularly.  I came to realize that during and immediately after those services, my itch subsided and was replaced with something peaceful...something that I wanted more of because it satisfied a thirst that had never been properly quenched.  I wanted it so much that earlier this year I began again taking the steps necessary for conversion to the Catholic faith.  Clearly, when you think about it, I am an extremely slow student for this spring when I finish, am baptized and confirmed as a Catholic it will have been about 50 years since I began attending Mrs. Haken's catechism class with one of my best friends, her son, Ron.  I now wonder how different my life would have been had I completed that class.  But that is yesterday and I can't worry about what I can't change.  By God's grace today is here and tomorrow promises to be even better.

The Bible is, of course, not a fabrication.  It is the truth as God revealed it to His church and God can neither deceive or be deceived.  It has stood the test of time and is still the Greatest Book ever written.  I recommend it for your daily reading.  And, son, I recommend that you read the attached article.

Follow the link for an interesting article from David Limbaugh.

No comments: