Sunday, October 11, 2009

Australia - 10/12/09

The other day we walked through Sydney around the harbor. It’s a beautiful city to be sure, with some beautiful parks and interesting sights. It pretty much closes about 5:00 pm, though, so you want to get out and about early.

We walked through a modern art place on the waterfront. It was interesting although not much to my taste. I did, however, see one art piece that I understood. The artist put together a montage of signs hung from the ceiling covering a multitude of areas evidently intending to convey the convergence of ideas in Australia. One of the signs I found most informative: “There are over 7,000 species of flies in Australia.”

I’ve seen only a half dozen different types so far and I’m anxiously awaiting the other 6,994.

My favorite part was sitting at the Opera House, beautiful structure it is, and looking across the water at the ANZAC Bridge where I could see people who paid $100.00 (Aus) to walk up the infrastructure and stand at the top. There was a steady line of them and I marveled at the simplicity of that bit of commerce. Find a structure with a nice view at the top. Spice it up with a bit of faux risk (you have to be tethered to walk up and only in small groups). Then sell it to tourists wanting to record memorable pictures of the view.

I preferred sitting on the bench with a cigar watching them from down below. Memorable view, it was, without the wind and drama.

Not to mention that my view was free.

The trip to the Blue Mountains was a great one. Not only did I get some excellent pictures of the Three Sisters but also of Lil’ Miss Wonderful and her beautiful mother. The scenery in the mountains was spectacular and my sister-in-law suggested a ride on a gondola that goes down into the valley. But then she said that to get back you walked up through a mine shaft.

Like paying to climb to the top of a bridge, I could see no good reason to spoil a beautiful day. And to celebrate that I enjoyed a good cigar.

More later.

No comments: