Monday, January 4, 2010

Security Guard Killed, U.S. Marshal Shot in Federal Building in Las Vegas - FOXNews.com

Security Guard Killed, U.S. Marshal Shot in Federal Building in Las Vegas - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

For well over half my adult life I've carried weapons in the service of my country. I am always saddened when one falls or is injured yet I know that when you take up arms to protect and defend the public that you assume certain risks. It is the price that is extracted by the badge that is worn and office we hold. Those who wear the badge are on the front lines and face evil every day in hopes of making this world a little better and a little safer.

In this case one paid the ultimate price while performing duties to protect the public and another is severely wounded. My heart goes out to both families and to the friends of these two gentlemen. Take a moment, if you will, to be silent and ponder the sacrifice made on your behalf this day. Cherish the thought of these two men for we are lucky to have such men who are willing to stand between those who are defenseless and those who are evil.

By way of disclosure I am a former Federal law enforcement officer and a Life Member of the National Rifle Association. I've never felt the need to fear honest men and women who possess and bear arms. Only evil does harm on purpose. Honest citizens do not.

No comments: